So if you know anything about me, you know I am OBSESSED with chicken fried rice. It’s actually a problem. I crave it every day and eat it probably every other day. So for the past 2 months, I have dedicated myself to being able to make the perfect chicken fried rice at home (for my bank account’s sake.) I have tried over 8 different chicken fried rice recipes that I found on Pinterest, combined my favorites from all of them, and came up with this recipe.
I should also tell you that I do not cook at all and I am a pretty awful cook. So don’t judge me on like a gourmet chef level here.
But I am really proud to say that I went out to eat and got chicken fried rice and actually liked mine better…. SCORE for my bank account. Here we go. Buckle your seat belts.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots, diced
- salt and pepper
- 1 chicken breast, cooked and chopped
- 1/2 C frozen peas
- 4 C cooked rice, cold <— Making sure it is cold rice is KEY!
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 4 1/2 Tb butter
- 1/4 C soy sauce (I use low sodium soy sauce!)
- 2 1/2 tsp oyster sauce <— I know, it sounds weird but I PROMISE it is SO GOOD.
FYI- I don’t measure anything and it still turns out great, but technically this is what the recipe calls for.
- Put your pan on high heat and melt 1 Tb of butter. Add the onions, peas and carrots. Saute the veggies until they start to soften.
- Add the cold rice. Add salt and pepper. Add more butter. (another Tb?) Fry this concoction, stirring occasionally. Every recipe I read says only cook it for about 4-5 minutes, but I usually cook it for somewhere around 10-12. I like the veggies soft and the rice really fried.
- Take another pan and of course, add more butter and cook the chicken. Then, throw the chicken in the pan with the rice.
- Take the scrambled eggs and put them in the party pan too.
- Then, take that soy sauce and oyster sauce and stir it together in a bowl. Then pour it over your rice. Then cook for another 3 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Put it on a plate. Add more soy sauce if you’re like me and love soy sauce.
- Get your mind blown. SO good.
Let me know if you try it and have anything to add! I’m super determined to have the best chicken fried rice!