Whenever I’m having a really awful, truly no good, very bad day, I tend to do one of two things. The first – call my best friend. She always has the perfect words to soothe my hurting heart, and I know I can always count on her to give me a full-fledged belly laugh. The second – watch a favorite movie. While I have many favorites, below is my top 10 favorite movies and my favorite quotes from them. I may not be the hippest, and truly am not an avid movie goer, but I do know a good movie when I see one. Happy watching, friends!
- You’ve Got Mail: “Don’t you love New York in the fall? It makes me wanna buy school supplies. I would send you a bouquet of newly sharpened pencils if I knew your name and address. On the other hand, this not knowing has its charms.” -Joe Fox, played by Tom Hanks
How much more perfect could this quote be? As my love for fall was unveiled in many previous posts, this one doesn’t need too much explanation. Reciting each line from this movie started at an incredibly young age, and I must say this is my all-time favorite movie. I saw it for the first time in theaters with my momma. It has been our favorite ever since. But seriously sisters, who does not love the smell of newly sharpened pencils? Does that make me an uber-nerd? Even if it does, I’m not mad about it.
- Casablanca: “Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine.” -Rick Blaine, played by Humphrey Bogart Anyone who knows me on a very personal level knows how much I love this movie. Ask my mom…this movie screams Hannah. The first time I watched this film, I was completely transfixed with every perfect detail. I could watch this movie every day for the rest of my life and not get sick of it. From its illustrious soundtrack to the unforgettable beauty of Humphrey Bogart, this movie captivates me. And this quote, I must say, is one of my favorites. Many times this film is revered as the best movie ever made, and I have to say I agree.
- Love Actually: “Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinions starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don’t see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often, it’s not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it’s always there – fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know, none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge – they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I’ve got a sneaky feeling you’ll find that love actually is all around.” -Hugh Grant
Never have I ever been so transfixed with an opening line of any movie more than I have this one. If you haven’t seen this movie, you are doing yourself a serious disservice. You owe it to yourself to watch this. This quote is so seriously true, and every time I fly home these words echo in my head. Because at the root of it all, love is all around. We might be at war, we might be in serious economic shutdown, but at the end of the day, we have love. Love overcomes all.
- Elf: “It’s just nice to meet another human that shares my affinity for elf culture.” -Buddy, played by Will Ferrel
Who isn’t completely obsessed with this movie!? My mom, Jake (my boyfriend) and I watch it practically on repeat all winter long, and it never fails to have me in stitches. When I was coming up with my favorite quote for this one, I was at such a loss. I can literally recite this whole film verbatim. Yes, I love it that much. But when I remembered this quote, I thought it was just too perfect for this post. Many times when I meet chapter women who are equally as in love with Sigma Kappa as I am, this quote comes to mind. Has anyone else been so refreshed to meet another who shares your passion?
- Clueless: “So okay, I don’t want to be a traitor to my generation and all, but I don’t get how guys dress today. I mean, come on, it looks like they just fell out of bed and put on some baggy pants and take their greasy hair – eww – and cover it up with a backwards cap and like, we’re expected to swoon? I don’t think so.” -Cher Horowitz, played by Alicia Silverstone
Everyone has heard the expression “chivalry is dead,” and I can’t help but think that this is a modern version of that. How many of us pass young men and women on the streets each day who look like they’ve just rolled out of bed? I know everyone is guilty of it, and some days we just need a lounge day, but we simply can’t escape the fact that we lead with our exterior. First impressions are a one time thing, friends. Let’s start to make them more amazing.
- Risky Business: “It seems to me that if there were any logic to our language, trust would be a four-letter word.” -Joel Goodsen, played by Tom Cruise
When I was thinking how I could relate this quote back to Sigma Kappa, I was really at a loss. It wasn’t until a dear friend said, “Well Hannah, that is totally Sigma Kappa. Our ritual is trust.” How right Amy is. Every single word that binds us is held together by trust. Our founders wrote words that have echoed in chapter rooms for 139 years. They bound us to them with their trust. They trusted that their legacy would live on, respected and glorified. Trust is love. And love is everything.
- Virgin Suicides: “We knew the girls were really women in disguise, that they understood love, and even death, and that our job was merely to create the noise that seemed to fascinate them.” -Narrator, voice of Giovanni Ribisi
Anyone who has seen the film and furthermore read the novel, can relate to my complete enthrallment with this hidden treasure. This film is literally perfect in every single way. The voice of Giovanni Ribisi will forever play over and over in my head when I read this quote. Kirsten Dunst is tremendous in the role of Lux. The foggy and mystical nature of this movie catapults its viewers into a mere obsession. Do yourself a favor and watch this movie.
- Top Gun: “On March 3, 1969, the United States Navy established an elite school for the top one percent of its pilots. Its purpose was to teach the lost art of aerial combat and to ensure that the handful of men who graduated were the best fighter pilots in the world. They succeeded. Today, the Navy calls it Fighter Weapons School. The flyers call it: TOP GUN.” -Opening title
Do I have a slight obsession with Tom Cruise, you ask? Why yes, I do! Again, coming up with a favorite quote for this film was tricky, so I stuck to one of the most powerful and memorable opening titles I have ever seen. Watching this movie reminds me how thankful I am for my own soldier and for soldiers all around the world who fight every day for our priceless freedom.
- Funny Girl: “Lovers are very special people,
They’re the luckiest people in the world.
With one person, one very special person
A feeling deep in your soul
Says you were half,
Now you’re whole.
No more hunger and thirst
But first be a person
Who needs people.
People who need people
Are the luckiest people
In the world!” -Fanny Brice, played by Barbara Streisand
A favorite for both my mom and me, this movie brings back so many happy memories. As a staple of my childhood, my mom and I would blast the soundtrack and dance around like complete goons. People is a song about love, a song about friendship, and most certainly a favorite of mine.
- Breakfast at Tiffany’s: “Anyone who ever gave you confidence, you owe them a lot.” -Holly Golightly, played by Audrey Hepburn A little cliche with this pick, I know, but I couldn’t resist. This movie is so impeccably feminine and immortally classic. And this quote speaks so much to me. Confidence is everything, especially to young women like most of you readers out there. Confidence gives you the drive to get up in the morning and ace that bio exam, confidence gives you the gumption to ask that handsome guy to be your date to formal, confidence lets you know that its okay to be the awesome, unique, 100% perfect you.